While I do eventually intend to compile the whole of my cut content from Spoils of the Gorgon Coast into a proper module featuring the Ashen City and the fallen capital in all its glory, it feels beyond pointless for me to keep materials I had cut from the original draft of the book in some dropbox. For those not in the know, Spoils was nearly double the length we ended up going with; a mixture of cut content and my own purple prose. Those of you who enjoyed it, I suggest you indulge in Best Left Buried: Deeper when it comes to kickstarter within a week or so; as I was given a chance to write much of the geographical/faction/setting details and they're of my brand.
What follows is a list of contacts in Fallen Taurochtalia, though in theory you could put them anywhere on the Gorgon Coast. There is one for each archetype of the original edition, as well as little randomizers to determine what it is they are up to.
Blooded Mother Sidania (Believer)
[d6] What is Blooded Mother Sidania doing?
- Writing correspondence to the Ordo Parasitium, offering tips on arson and fire starting.
- Whipping a recent convert to the Cult of Chalices and collecting the blood from their back.
- Throttling a Chalice Chanter, alleging them to be a Dissident Choir heretic.
- Proselytizing to mercenaries and deserters with little success.
- Warbling a song of prayer while peeling the skin from her fingers.
- Reading coded correspondence, bitterness in her twitching eyes.
The Herald of the White Tower (Cabalist)
[d6] What is Herald of the White Tower doing?
- Heading to the Tower Collegium as a puppet, eyes crackling with energy,
- Gripping at his brow, as if fearing his head might explode.
- Wandering the streets in a frenzy, speaking in tongues, weeping.
- Protesting in vanity towards sellswords, against the cruelties of war
- Walking about and then immediately crumpling to the ground in seizures, their body rippling with white fettering energies.
- Disrobed, pale, tired, contemplating self-harm; masks himself if noticed, fears being seen as anything other than the herald, but desires being seen all the same.
Salamach the Cyclops (Cut-Throat)
[d6] What is Salamach the Cyclops doing?
- Throttling a smuggler with one hand, mocking their mother and crushing their windpipe,
- Taking in a fight between protagonists, laughing obnoxiously at the sound of brutalized meat.
- Sleeping in a comfortable pile with several beautiful camp followers, their make-up smears staining him and one another.
- Strutting through town with bawdy concubines, two on each arm.
- Ordering around smugglers while gnawing on a roast goose he holds in a single hand,
- Brutalizing a deserter for some imagined failure, popping their bones out of place.
Rigamella DiLemel (Dastardess)
[d6] What is Rigamella DiLemel doing?
- Bragging proudly from atop a crate as troubadours sing of her deeds.
- Engaged in a daring duel with a protagonist, learned eyes can note dulled rapiers wielded with grace.
- Engaged in whimsical flights of fancy, generally involving leaping and laughter,
- Making a show of speaking to beggars about mundane things, for she is of the people.
- Engaging mercenaries in braggadocios conversation about where she has fought before.
- Getting her boots shined while practicing the Chalice Chant, butchering some pronunciations.
Ferdinand & Isolde (Everymen)
[d6] What are Ferdinand & Isolde doing?
- Taking in a heavy, lavish meal and discussing business,
- Inquiring the prices for breaking various limbs with a protagonist,
- Holding hands and acting obnoxiously coupled.
- Grimacing at the sight of beggars, parasite lepers, and Chalice Chanters.
- Engaging in ledger work and mercantile exploits with a quartermaster.
- Inciting small disputes between camp followers and mercenaries based on wage discrepancies.
[d6] What is Monzamere doing?
- Commenting each move a protagonist will make in a street brawl right before they make them.
- Cringing in annoyance at the sound of the Chalice Chant.
- Grumpily eating a slice of fancy cheese on coarse country bread.
- Sleeping in a plaza, naked, with a sign next to him reading "I am Monzamere, strike as you dare."
- Effortlessly brawling with a gaggle of mercenaries, bashing them with ease.
- Speaking with camp followers in search of hard-to-obtain spices no quartermaster would carry.
Hecuba Enande (Outcast)
[d6] What is Hecuba Enande doing?
- Ordering parasite lepers to attend to the Old Slave Warrens for "worship,"
- Vomiting up serpentine worms and gazing madly at them.
- Gnawing away semi-petrified flesh off their person.
- Consorting with bounty hunters, paying treasures for information on a slave ship.
- Dragging a screaming deserter into a darkened alleyway.
- Conversing with mercenaries about alleged criminals hiding in the Ashen City.
Bona of the Red Blade (Protagonist)
[d6] What is Bona of the Red Blade doing?
- Running from a gang of mercenaries; laughing madly, carrying a half-naked camp follower over her shoulder.
- Drunk off her gourd and asking everyone she comes across if they want to fight.
- Passed out over a roast goose on the street.
- Drunkenly trying to get a Chalice Chanter to teach her to dance.
- Being too loud and obnoxious for this hour.
- Defecating into a public fountain while chugging a bottle of wine.
Adreme Soccio Verte (Scholar)
[d6] What is Adreme Soccio Verte doing?
- Silently people-watching a group of mercenaries to their discomfort.
- Asking too many probing questions to military deserters.
- Interrogating the price of various "additional services" from camp followers, gets mad when they ask her if she's interested.
- Listening to philosophers in the upper city preach the same tired points of human ethics.
- Questioning a Chalice Chanter about rumors of a schism in the church, much to their anger.
- Engaged in polite banter with a quartermaster about being "in the thick of it" until things become uncomfortable.
Iago Herelake (Veteran)
Noted among the Dogaressa’s Guard for having survived a venture into the crypts beneath the Palace of Blackened Horns, Iago Herelake was struck partially maddened from the experience. His hair is a shock white and his flesh has become albinistic from what he encountered beneath, He was placed into a position where he would seldom encounter his peers after an incident where in a somnambulist trance, carved open the throats of his barracks bunk mates and painted a labyrinthine map with their blood. Iago seeks answers to what he saw beneath the Palace and he is haunted by nightmares of what will come if an Inheritor takes the Blackened Throne. Though formerly Chalice faithful, he has begun backing the Dissident Choir; viewing his former faith as complicit in a coming apocalyptic event. To cryptdiggers and freeblades, Iago is knowledgeable on most unpleasant subjects; but so overcome with fear, he is more likely to dissuade others from delving the crypts than fighting the darkness. He also believes the map he produced is that of a mythic underworld where something hateful seeks to escape.
[d6] What is Iago Herelake doing?
- Nursing a bottle of wine and looking at the world through a deadman's gaze.
- Polishing immaculate armor, not worn in years.
- Errantly doodling a labyrinthine pattern in the margins of a book.
- Being pestered by mercenaries who believe he makes treasure maps.
- Providing advice to military deserters and claiming they've made a wise choice.
- Staring at a water fixture and mumbling to himself about "how deep and twisting it all must go..."